Some seats are called convertible seats because they are first installed looking back, for babies and young children, and as your child grows, you turn it over and “turn it” into a car seat for an older child by installing it facing forward.
They are suitable for babies from birth until they weigh 18 to 36 kilos (40 to 80 pounds) and are 148 centimeters (57 inches) tall, depending on the chair.
Different Types Of Car Seats
- Children: According to the model it is the weight and height limit where the average is 10 to 13 kg and 70 to 80 cm in height (12 months). For the child’s safety, they are installed facing backward.
- Convertibles: For use between 18 and 29 kg with expiration for children with a maximum of 6 years. They are installed against the direction of travel.
- Combinable: Ideal after four years and can be installed looking forward to six years. First, the five-point belt included in the car seat must be used, and then the adult seat containing the vehicle.
- Boosters: There are variants with backrest and without backrest with the function of serving as an elevator to position the traditional safety belt where the child must be at least 5 years old and have sufficient maturity to keep the belt in its correct place.
- 3 in 1 or 4 in 1: They cover several stages and positions to use it from the moment the baby is born until the baby stops using the attachment.
Top 15 Best Convertible Car Seats
As your children grow and their child seat for the car is small, the next step is to get the best convertible car seat. This versatile seat can be installed both in a forward-facing and rear-facing configuration. And it will surely be the seat your children will use for the longest period of time.
A convertible seat is a priority to keep the child sitting looking back until the age of 2 years recommended by experts.
Most children will have a small child seat, which is installed by looking back only, long before reaching that age. Based on our most recent tests, Consumer Reports recommends that you transition your child to a convertible child seat that you see back by the time you turn 1 due to the crucial potential safety benefit.
We tested the convertible child seats with the revised crash test protocol (which were first implemented with the child seats) and the result was a new line of the convertible seats that performed better. All these 15 models have the highest scores among all and represent a balanced performance in the 3 test areas: their fit to the vehicle, ease of use and crash performance.
Recommended: Best Car Seat Head Support Baby
1. Graco 4ever all-in-one Best Convertible Car Seat
It is comfortable for your child and very convenient for parents, as Graco compact convertible car seat is designed to be used in 4 different modalities during your child’s growth. With Graco 4Ever best convertible car seat 2019 you will see how your child passes from baby to infant, and how he turns from preschool to a beautiful child who attends school.
From the first months, the baby will use the Graco 4Ever best all in one car seat with the chair facing back with the harness system and anti-shock support included until it reaches 40 pounds. When you have already taken your first simple steps and whisper your first simple sentences, you will use the armchair with a 5-point harness facing forward until you reach a weight of 65 pounds.
- It comes with the rear-facing seat and weight limit is 40 pounds\
- Forward-facing, high-back booster seat, and a backless booster car seat is also available with this
- It provides you the five-point safety harness
- Six-recline position and ten position headrest is available
- It comes with the bubble-level indicator
- Includes LATCH type vehicle anchoring system.
- Side impact protection verified only on the 5-point harness system / Side impact protection.
- The reinforced steel structure that provides strength and durability.
- Integrated storage compartment on the back of the seat to protect the harness straps while not needed.
- An easy-to-read level indicator that helps eliminate the guesswork of the rear-facing installation.
- Seats with plush inserts to keep the child comfortable.
- Safe Seat system tested to meet or exceed United States FMVSS 213 safety standards.
- Cup holders on both sides to keep your child’s drinks at your fingertips.
- The expiration date of this seat is 10 years
- It comes with the washable cover
- It comes in different 10 colors
- It provides you 2 removable cupholders
- The installation of the seat belt is very easy
- For the booster mode LATCH is also available
- Installation and converting between modes is very easy
- In the rear-facing mode, this seat is bulky
- The fabric of this seat is not very breathable
2. Britax USA Marathon ClickTight Compact Convertible Car Seat
The available side impacts protection and superior installation are safer and easier to make the ClickTight marathon a smart choice for parents who want the maximum guarantee that their child is safe.
The ClickTight installation system of this all in one car seat gives you the safest and easiest installation every time so you can be sure that your little one is well protected. This best convertible car seat protects your child with side impact protection, an impact absorption base, and a steel frame.
Recommended: Proper guide on How to keep Baby Cool in Car Seat
This best convertible car seat also wraps the child in comfort with top quality padding and fabrics. Purchase includes a seat and a removable pillow.
If we talk about the different features of this best convertible car seat 2019 then it comes with the impact protection safe cell, this feature is for the safety of your child it protects your child from the accident and also includes steel support for the stabilization of impacts, absorption harness, base, and strap.
- This seat comes with the CT (Click Tight) installation system
- It provides you the steel frame and also deep side impact protection
- It comes with the energy absorbing and SafeCell impact-absorbing base
- Two buckle position is also available
- The life of this seat is 10 years
- This seat is made in the USA
- Britax FAA approved seat
- It comes in 18 color
- The best seat for the rear-facing
- It comes with the too many built-in safety features
- The installation system is very easy with the help of CT
- Sometimes the Recline handle of this seat gets jammed
- Sometimes harness strap of this seat is not adjustable to equal tightness
3. Graco Tranzitions 3 In 1 Booster all in one Seat
This Graco best convertible car seat is designed for young and older children. Start as a harness enhancer for children. 22-65 pounds, then as a high back reinforcement for 30-100 pounds children, and finally as a backless reinforcement for 40-100 pounds children.
Transitions compact convertible car seat has the specifications of a Graco harness system that allows you to adjust both the headrest and harness in eight different positions without re-threading the straps.
Children love dual (removable) cupholders, and it’s relatively light … MORE (17.8 pounds), making it easy to transfer between cars for game dates, car trips and more.
- It provides you the adjustable eight-position headrest
- It comes with the 2 cup holders
- The warranty for this seat is 1 year
- It comes in three fashionable colors
- The expiration of this seat is seven years
- It comes with the washable seat pad, harness cover, and body pillow
- This seat is too lightweight
- It is available in three best colors
- Graco tranzitions seat is very affordable
- It comes with the washable body pillow, seat pad, and harness covers
- This seat is not easy to install in all cars
- It doesn’t provide you the manual storage
- It’s very hard to get a tight installation because of its lightweight
4. Doona Infant children’s Best Convertible Car Seat 2020
This seat comes with the fully integrated wheels and this is first all in one car seat that comes with the wheels. This high tech compact convertible car seat is safe for your child and you can bring your child to school, home, and work, anywhere you want to go with your babies or newborn
The Infant children’s best convertible car seat is specially designed to provide special protection to your child. With all this, it comes with the different features including five-point harness, adjustable handlebar, and a one-touch brake.
If you are searching for the best convertible car seats and those seats that are best for your child in every aspect then you are in the right place Doona best convertible car seat 2020 is perfect for your child.
- For the easy and quick mobility, it provides you the integrated stroller
- It comes with the adjustable five-point safety harness
- It provides you the rear-facing
- For the comfort of your baby, it provides you the thick and protective padding
- It comes with the washable fabric
- EPS energy-absorbing foam is added in this seat
- It is a lightweight
- It comes with the unique stroller
- For transportation, Dona is the best car seat
- Easy to use and install this best convertible car seat
- It doesn’t provide you the basket for the items
5. Graco Milestone All-In-One Convertible Car Seat
Graco Milestone best convertible car seat ranks first in the best convertible car seat 2019.
First, the headrest and harness adjustment provide comfort for a growing baby, its four-position recline allows your child to be safe and comfortable regardless of whether it is rear-facing or not, and its three convertible driving modes They mean that the milestone can be used for children from birth to 12 years of age.
This means that this is the only seat you will have to buy.
It is not the best aspect of car seats and does not have some of the seats more curved and comfortable than others on this list, but in reality, we are. Milestone all in one car seat is also secured through a three-point seat belt, so if you prefer to use Isofix or Familyfix, this is not for you. Still, for a car seat that lasts 12 years and costs less than many other baby-only seats in the market, this represents excellent value.
- The expiration time of this seat is 10 years
- It comes with the three-convertible modes
- It provides you the InRight Latch system
- The padding of this seat is machine washable
- Graco Milestone is FAA approved
- Very easy to use rear anchors of this Graco convertible car seat
- It is very affordable
- It comes with the long rear-facing use
- It provides you the movable drink holder
- The padding of Graco Milestone is washable
- Sometimes the sticker of FAA approved is missing
- If you want a backless booster the back is not removable
6. Clek Fllo Best Convertible Car Seat
The Clek 2017 Fllo Best Convertible Car Seat looks straight ahead, it is for children up to 50 pounds (22.6 kg) and helps you keep your child safe for longer. In the event of an accident, it has an anti-rebound steel bar that protects your child’s head and limits the movement of the seat.
It also has padded layers that absorb the energy of a side impact. This chair is simple to install and its slim design fits most rear seats.
This best convertible car seat 2019 is specially designed for babies up to 14 to 50 pounds. You can also use this best all in one car seat for smaller babies, but it requires the use of a separate insert, or you will have to use a separate child seat until it grows until it becomes one.
This is the most ecological car seat on the market. Your GREENGUARD fabrics are free of brominated and chlorinated flame retardants, and when finished, the car seat can be recycled.
Looking back, this car seat fits babies from 14 to 50 pounds and in the forward-facing mode, accommodates children from 22 to 65 pounds; it is manufactured in Canada, complies with all federal US standards and is approved for use in airplanes.
- It provides you the 4 and 6 inches two crotch buckle slots
- It comes with the push button
- It provides you the seat belt lock-off
- The fabric of this seat is nontoxic
- It comes with too many safety features
- You can easily install this seat with the LATCH system
- This seat is best in the situation of three across car seat
- This seat is a little bit heavier as compared to the other seats
7. Graco Extend2Fit Best Convertible Car Seat
The Extend2Fit is a phenomenal best convertible car seat 2019 from Graco. This all in one car seat costs less than $ 200, but Graco compact convertible car seat has many excellent features that are often only found in more expensive seats.
The head wings and harness height are adjusted together by pressing a button on the top of the frame and simply sliding the entire headrest up or down.
The top button LATCH connectors and the 6 recline positions are also good features. A unique piece of Extend2Fit is the 4-position extension panel that slides out … MORE baby feet. The Extend2Fit best all in one car seat panel provides up to 5 inches more legroom for children looking back. It is a great addition to a car seat with a higher backward weight limit. Backward from 4 to 50 pounds. Forward at 65 pounds.
The 4Ever with Extend2Fit is a best 4 in 1 car seat with rear faces, front faces and then it becomes a high-backed reinforcement and a lower back reinforcement. The Extend2Fit 3-in-1 adds a high-back mode to the convertible chair.
- Angle ball indicator is provided on the side of the seat
- Buckle pockets are provided with this seat
- The expiration date of this seat is 10 years
- It comes with the 2 removable cupholder
- It provides you the ten-position headrest
- The weight of this rear-facing seat is 50 pounds
- It comes with the four-position leg extension
- Very easy to install
- It provides you the washable cover
- It comes with the 5 inches adjustable leg extension
- Best seat to protect your child from different real-life crash
- Provides you the 2 integrated cupholders and these cupholders are removable
- Very awkward chest belt
- In a rear-facing difficult to install a seat belt
8. Britax Boulevard ClickTight Best Convertible Car Seat
The ClickTight system makes Britax seat convertibles easier to install with the seat belt, no doubt.
ClickTight is available on the boulevard (shown here), and also in the marathon (slightly smaller seat with upper harness 1.5 “lower, $ 40 cheaper) and the Advocate (add large wings full of air to the sides for additional protection against crashes, $ 40 more).
Recommended: Car Seat Height and Weight Guidelines
All you have to do is open the “cover”, which is the seat part of the car seat, fasten the seat belt in the open part, then close… PLUS the lid like the trunk of the car.
The ClickTight Boulevard also has an unrescaled harness, true side impacts protection, LATCH top button connectors, a luxurious cover and a thick harness strap that resists torsion. 5 to 40 pounds looking back. Up to 65 pounds looking forward.
- It comes with the ClickTight install
- The expiration limit of this seat is 10 years
- Weight limit of rear-facing is 5 to 40 pounds
- Weight limit of forward-facing is 20 to 65 pounds
- For the rear and forward-facing, it provides the seven recline settings
- Height limits of rear-facing are high
- Very simple and easy installation because of ClickTight installation
- Price of this seat is high
9, Evenflo EveryStage DLX all-in-one Convertible Car Seat
In the best convertible car seat first thing to ensure that your baby remains safe on the road form the dangerous accidents and for the safety of your child it is important to invest in high-quality convertible car seats.
The Evenflo EveryStage DLX All-in-One convertible car seat is custom-made and this best convertible car seat 2019 easily handles the different actions that come from the different directions, after buying this car seat it’s sure that your child will be safe even during the long travel.
The EasyClick premium LATCH system provides the best and easy installation to this seat, you can install it only in 60 seconds. This seat is adjustable to up to 10 different positions. If you are searching for a high-quality car seat then this is the perfect seat for you and also for the safety of your child.
- The expiration time of this seat is 10 years
- It comes with the rear-facing, forward-facing and positioning booster for the safety of your child
- The weight limit of rear-facing is up to 50 lbs
- For the comfort of your child, it provides angles
- For the accuracy, it comes with the ten position
- It comes with the LATCH system
- It comes with the washable cover
- It provides you the high adjustability
- The weight limit of rear-facing is up to 50 pounds
- This is very heavy and high in size
10. Chicco NextFit Best Convertible Car Seat
When it comes to your child’s health and safety, nothing but the best will be enough, and the Chicco NextFit all in one car seat is one of the best car seat models on the market today. Many convertible car seats tend to be heavy and difficult to handle, but this is not the case with the NextFit.
In fact, users will be delirious at how easy and painless it is to install this seat, regardless of the type of vehicle, thanks to its lightweight design and elegant accompanying features.
The NextFit helps minimize risk with its nine-position leveling system and its special Super-Cinch LATCH tensioner, which ensures a safer fit. Due to the adjustable six-position headrest of this model, the five-point harness and the two-position chest clip, infants and preschoolers can comfortably use the NextFit in backward and forward-facing modes.
- This seat is heavy and bulky
- The frame and exterior is made up of steel
- It comes with the bucket style seats
- The installation of this seat is very easy
- For the perfect angle, this seat comes with the bubble lever meter
- The weight limit is high (65 pounds)
- You can easily use this as rear and front-facing
- You can wash the fabric seat with the help of machine
- Installation is very easy because of SuperCinch LATCH Tightener
- You can use this Chicco car seat for many years because of its weight limit
- The price of this seat is a little bit high
11. Diono Radian RXT Best Convertible Car Seat
With a rear-facing weight limit of 45 pounds and up to 80 pounds facing forward, the Diono Radian RXT best convertible car seat 2019 also becomes a booster car seat for children weighing up to 120 pounds.
The strong steel frame protects your child’s head and body and at the same time dampens any impact on the side of the vehicle.
This bag car seat is 17 inches wide and the height of Diono Radian RXT is 28.5 inches.
- It comes with the adjustable headrest
- It provides you the support cushion
- The cover of this seat is washable
- It provides you the cupholder and this cupholder is removable
- This seat is very comfortable
- The weight limit of rear-facing is high
- It comes with the narrow frame
- As compared to other seats this seat is heavy
12. Cosco Mighty Fit 65 DX Best Convertible Car Seat
The best Convertible car seat Cosco Mighty Fit 65 DX comes in the navy color and 65 lbs. This compact convertible car seat comes with the 2 convertible modes and this all in one car seat can stay with your child and with you for too many years.
This best all in one car seat comes with the rear-facing and forward-facing mode and the weight for the rear-facing mode is from 5 to 40 pounds and for the forward-facing mode, it is from the 22 to 65 pounds.
The other thing is the safety of your child, so this all in one car seat comes with the LATCH system for the safety of your child and also includes the five-point harness with side-impact protection.
- The comfortable seat comes with the rear-facing and forward-facing position
- The weight limit of rear-facing is 5 to 40 pounds and forward-facing is 22 to 65 pounds
- It comes with the side impact protection
- It provides you the five-point harness
- It comes with the washable fabrics
- The LATCH system is also included
- Very easy to install and use it
- This seat can be used for many years
- If compare it with a similar seat then it is lightweight
- You may have a tough time when getting tangled up
13. Diono Radian 3RXT Best Convertible Car Seat
The new Dionobest convertible car seat, the Radian 3RXT model, allows children to travel in the opposite direction from birth to a height of 112 cm and weighing up to 20 kg (5 years, approx.), then It can be used in favor of gait up to 54 kg or 144 cm.
Diono best convertible car seat 2019combines innovative safety features in an elegant and narrower design, allowing 3 Radian 3RXT chairs to be installed in the backseat in most family vehicles
The sidewalls of this all-in-one convertible car seat reinforced with aluminum to provide excellent protection against side impacts. Lined with EPS foam that absorbs energy and surrounds your child for added security, it has an adjustable 12-position head support, which will keep your child always very protected and very comfortable.
Additional security in case of a collision through Top Theter Top Strap and Safe Stop harness component. Diono’s best convertible car seats are definitely safe! It will keep the baby traveling in a safer way against the rear from newborn to 20 kg.
- This seat is available in 13 colors
- It comes with the steel frame
- It provides you the twelve-position adjustable headrest
- It comes with the removable cup holders
- For the backside, it provides you the cloth cover
- The expiration date of this seat is 10 years
- It comes with the steel frame
- 13 colors are available with the cover
- It comes with the SuperLatch connectors
- It comes with the only rear-facing recline angle
14. Safety 1st Grow and Go 3-in-1 Best Convertible Car Seat
If you want to enjoy your trip with your babies then you must have to buy the best convertible car seats. Safety 1st grow all in one seat is specially designed for the comfort and safety of your child in the long trips
This compact convertible car seat comes with the infant padding and it provides the better harness fit in the lowest harness position.
And this thing is used until your child is around 6 to 9 months. As the biggest company Safety 1st uses extensive crash testing to confirm that this best convertible car seats exceeds federal safety standards. If you are searching for the all-in-one car seat then this the perfect and safe seat for your child to travel.
- It comes with the five-position harness with the newborn position
- It provides you the washable and easy to remove the cover
- The three-recline angles are also included
- The expiration time of this car seat is 10 years
- Two built-in cup holders
- It provides you the washable and removable cover
- This is the 3-in-1 seat include rear and forward-facing and also booster position
- This seat is secure and safe for your child because of quick fit five-position harness
- The two built-in cup holders are not removable
15. Graco 4Ever Extend2Fit Platinum Best 4 in 1 Car Seat
When we talk about the best convertible car seats then the Graco 4Ever comes our mind because it provides you the amazing installation technology and also four modes of usage, in the Graco 4Ever lineup this car seat is the best.
It provides you the five-point harness and this thing is the best inventions in the compact convertible car seat, it provides you the guarantee that your child will easily stay in the car seat for a long time.
The other best feature of this car seat is that it comes with the ability to adjust the headrest and you can adjust it in the 10 different positions.
Most of the car seat stays in the 1 reclining position but the Graco 4Ever best 4 in 1 car seat comes with the 6 different types of reclining positions and also footrest, this thing increases the 5 inches in the rear-facing position.
If we compared this best convertible car seats 2020 with the other car seat then this seat is a large size seat. 12.30 inches in the length and the height is 26.14 inches because of its large size you cannot easily fit multiple car seats in your back seat of the vehicle.
- This seat is the 4-in-1 positions including rear and front-facing, highback and backless booster
- Weight limit of rear-facing is 4 lbs to 50 lbs
- Weight limit of front-facing is 22 lbs to 65 lbs
- It comes with the 6 reclining position
- For rear-facing comfort, it provides you the adjustable leg position
- It comes with the 2 cup holders
- Washable cover but this cover is not removable
- The expiration limit of this seat is 10 years
- Washable cover
- 50 pounds weight limit for rear-facing
- Very easy to switch different modes
- It provides you the leg extension up to 5 inches
- It doesn’t provide you the sun visor for the protection of your child’s eyes.
How To Buy The Best Convertible Cars Seat For Your Baby In 2020
As the best convertible car seats, many of them share the same set of features. The real attraction from one seat to another is its grouping and any additional features, such as removable inserts for newborns or a carrying handle.
The first means that you do not have to carry a heavy car seat with you, and they are generally designed to make it easier to place and remove a child without breaking your back. The downside is that you probably have to wake the baby to do it. The latter means that you can easily transport a baby sleeping from the car to the house or in a buggy.
Recommended: How Long Are Car Seats Good for
Keep in mind that it is not recommended to keep a baby in a car seat for more than two hours. If your trip is longer than that, the NHS suggests stopping and removing the child for a short time before continuing on your way.
How Much Should You Spend On Buying The Best Car Seat?
If cost is a limiting factor, it is better to look for seats that are suitable from newborns until when your child no longer needs to use a car seat or an elevator. These models may seem more expensive in the initial purchase, but you will not replace them every two years as your child grows.
Additional costs include insertions, in some cases, as well as the Isofix base. The latter does not come with baby safety seats as standard and, although the connections are the same, many manufacturers now offer their own patented bases at a price. Some manufacturers send a base with their convertible car seat, so it is worth considering when looking at the prices below. A slightly more expensive price to include the base may have a better long-term value.
How To Install The Best Convertible Car Seat?
In the first instance, it is recommended to read the instructive of the chair because each brand has its differences and specifications that you must take care of.
The baby seats can be installed using the ISOFIX or Latch system, which translated is nothing more than the anchoring system of the car seat that connects to the vehicle. There is also the Top Tether anchor, which is the third point of attachment that has the chair at the top and connects to the back, floor or roof of the car, which is used when the chair is installed facing forward, decreasing the movement of the child’s head in case of impact.
It is very important to install it in reverse gear that is, looking towards the back of the vehicle, until the child is of the appropriate age to put it in the direction of the vehicle’s movement, which is approximately between 3 and 4 years. When you install it you should look at the recline indicator to make sure it has the correct position, where the lowest position will be for newborns and the most straight position for children with a greater age range.
When you have placed it, try to move it to see if it is perfectly secure, it should not move more than an inch to the sides, front or back.
Then you must place the baby and secure it completely with all the brooches that the chair contains, the harness must be sufficiently adjusted to the body, having done it makes a slight pinch to the straps, if you make this happen, then you must adjust even more to achieve proper support.
Remember that chairs should never be installed in the passenger seat, as the frontal airbag, upon impact, could cause serious damage to the child.
Tips for using Best convertible car seats
Some tips that are given below will help you to use correctly the convertible car seat.
Must read the Instructions
The first tip to use the best convertible car seat is to read the instructions before installing the convertible car seat because each convertible car seat will be installed differently in vehicles.
Secondly, read the vehicles instruction manual
Before fixing the convertible car seat you have to check the instruction manual of your vehicle to clearly know how to fix the convertible car seat. But the main problem is that some car manufacturers may not provide you the seat anchor, In this case, you have to contact the manufacturer to know the correct place of the convertible car seat, and this thing is the best for the safety of your child.
Don’t put pillows
The third tip is that don’t put pillows or blanket on the backside of the convertible car seat because putting pillows can make your child feel uncomfortable. Putting pillows or blanket is not safe for your child, sometimes in the event of a sudden stop, this thing poses a risk of serious injury.
Sit your child in the Back Seat
Until the age of 13, your child should sit in the back seat of your car. If your child sits in the front seat of your vehicle then this thing can cause serious injury to your small child because of your vehicle airbags.
The expiration date of Convertible Car Seat
All the convertible car seat comes with the expiration time, which is almost 6 to 10 years. However, don’t use the convertible car seat for a long time
Best Convertible car seats are the best for the safety of your child during the travel or a long trip, when carrying your child in the car always use the car seat. The other thing is that before installing the car seat you have to check for damage that could put your child in any type of risk.